Media Relations Specialist
2 weeks ago
Reports to: Senior Adviser, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $60,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Media Relations Specialist on the Press team in its Communications department. This person will work to elevate the voices of key stakeholders in the nation’s most pressing debates to show how policies affect everyday people and how progressive policy solutions help improve the lives of all Americans. The Media Relations Specialist will be responsible for editing and placing storyteller op-eds and publicizing storytellers with both national and local media, including print, radio, podcasts, and broadcast.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Media Relations Specialist will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
In conjunction with the Senior Adviser for Communications, Story Bank team, and Press team, the Media Relations Specialist will edit and pitch storyteller op-eds to local and national news outlets, book storytellers on local broadcast media and radio, and serve as a point of contact for all storyteller media inquiries. In this role, the Media Relations Specialist will work with elected officials, political campaigns, and advocacy organizations to land additional media opportunities for storytellers, such as events or press calls with members of Congress.
The role requires a deep understanding of the local media environment, an assertive mindset, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Draft pitches and place storyteller op-eds on key topics in the national debate—including the threat of MAGA extremism and the historic bipartisan infrastructure law, among others—and serve as the primary contact throughout the editing and pitching process.
- Cultivate, maintain, and nurture relationships and partnerships with local media outlets.
- Actively pitch storytellers for broadcast and radio appearances, including negotiating interview terms, handling logistics, and managing interview preparation.
- Research and maintain press lists and serve as the primary contact for editors, producers, and reporters working with
- American Progress storytellers.
- Field incoming press inquiries and determine the suitability and strategic value of engagement.
- Contribute to the broader media strategy on the Story Bank team.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in media and/or communications; existing relationships with reporters, producers, and bookers are a strong plus.
- Successful track record working with local reporters and editors and placing earned media pieces.
- Strong interest in media and public policy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- The ability to multitask and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $60,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed in for in-office work. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.