2 weeks ago
At History Factory, you won’t find big machines cranking out widgets and gadgets. Instead, you’ll discover smart, fascinating people building creative ideas and doing interesting and unusual work—collecting, organizing and archiving materials found deep within a company’s history. Together, we design creative ways to interpret the gems of authentic content we find in a company’s past to help it chart its future.
We’re a quirky community of artists, writers, designers, historians, curators, researchers, planners...all drawn by the opportunity to use the power of history to shape the future. Don’t have a history degree? That’s ok. It’s more important to us that you demonstrate an inquisitive mind, a collaborative spirit, infectious enthusiasm, and a strong desire to help our clients write the next chapter in their history.
We’re looking for a creative director to help lead our teams to delivering their (and our) best work.
What you’ll need for this role:
- The skills to build creative cohesion on a team that may include designers, writers, curators, editors, and archivists, and the ability to coach them to do their best work
- An appreciation and passion for the craft of making things. You’re as much a doer as you are an inspiring leader, and you have the creative portfolio to prove it.
- A collaborative mindset to coordinate work across different disciplines
- The ability to easily toggle between the big picture and the nitty gritty. You’re comfortable leading projects and directing work but not above diving in and getting your hands dirty when necessary.
- Preferably a background in art direction or design, although we welcome content directors, too — bonus points if you have exhibit work in your portfolio
What you’ll do in this role:
- Guide and direct the work of creative teams, delivering creative strategy/plans, concepts, and executions for all kinds of media: corporate publications, museum-quality exhibits and environmental branding, video and digital executions, to name a few
- Identify and nurture the best ideas that are uniquely History Factory. Connect a client’s past with its future goals and opportunities by digging deep to uncover and understand a company’s historical insights.
- Oversee the translation of each client’s creative vision, generating work that is creatively brilliant, measurable, and culturally impactful.
- Manage and coach team members that report to you, taking responsibility for their development as creatives at History Factory
- Cultivate trusting relationships with clients, partners, and other internal project leads (account, design, archives, etc.).
View the complete job description on our website at HistoryFactory.com.
Interested? Please email your resume and a portfolio link to email@example.com.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $90K - $110K but will be commensurate with the experience and background of the successful candidate.
Preference is given to those who are located in the Washington, D.C. area or within drop-in distance, but History Factory is open to candidates located anywhere in the U.S.