3 weeks ago
Focus Lab is a strategic brand agency building brand leaders through expertise, process, and partnership, and we’re looking for the next addition to our team. We're a U.S.-based, remote-friendly company with thoughtful, creative professionals, passionate about partnering with good companies. Leveraging our craft and care for others, we exist to unlock the potential in the people around us, both internally and externally. We approach challenges with process-driven intentionality to inform the solutions we create. Craft is our calling card, camaraderie is our brand.
About the role
Location: Remote, USA
We are looking for a seasoned Brand Strategist to join our Strategy team. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of the branding process and its relationship to communications and design.
You will contribute your drive for research, analysis, and critical thinking to create the foundation and rationale for our clients' brands. Through analyzing our clients’ identities, goals, audiences, and competition, you will determine the direction for brand identities, presenting it in comprehensive written strategy documents, then using it to guide verbal and visual outcomes.
You can expect to:
- Drive and conduct weekly meetings with clients during brand strategy.
- Spend a lot of time researching, writing, ideating, and collaborating.
- Deliver and defend your own work.
- Actively provide strategic oversight for verbal and visual design outcomes.
- Work closely with both writers and designers on a daily basis.
- Work within a fast-paced, regular weekly cadence.
- Contribute to process development and thought leadership on a regular basis.
The ideal candidate is:
- Comfortable digging into the ins and outs of our clients’ companies and industries
- Able to be honest about when you don’t understand something
- At ease with conversations about business objectives, positioning, and differentiation
- Comfortable with the tension in the space between business strategy and brand strategy
- Willing to have tough conversations, ask hard questions, and make firm recommendations backed by strategic rationale
- An active and empathic listener
The ideal candidate can demonstrate:
- A track record of successful brand strategies, evidenced by a portfolio (which must include the strategy work, not just the verbal or visual design outcomes)
- The ability to defend and guide brand decisions through the lens of strategy and rationale
- The ability to drive a conversation with clients and their stakeholders. You will be the strategic sherpa for your clients; they need to trust that you’re in the driver’s seat, and so you must be comfortable and confident assuming that role
- Detail orientation. Include the word "Applebees" somewhere in your application and earn yourself some bonus points.
- Alignment with our core values
- Soft skills in the way of your humility, hunger, and people smarts
- Drive to collaborate within a team of strategists, writers, and designers
It doesn’t matter what your degree is in, or exactly how many years of experience you have. Many of our teammates are self-taught. We're looking to see that you are a strategic thinker and empathic communicator whose love of the craft goes beyond self-expression.
Working at Focus Lab
We will cover the full benefits package further into the interview process, but they key benefits provided by Focus Lab are:
- Unlimited paid time off. You’ll be encouraged to take a minimum of 20 days outside of holidays and sick time.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance plans (medical and dental covered at 50% for you and your family dependents)
- Life, disability, accident, critical illness, and cancer insurance plans
- Retirement plan beginning at your one year anniversary
- Paid parental, adoption/caregiver leave
- Opportunity to draw from a monthly wellness stipend
- Annual professional development stipend
- Two-week paid holiday rest at the end of the year
Interested? Cool. Here’s how to apply:
Write a cover letter. It doesn’t need to be long! Just let us know why you’d be a great fit at Focus Lab and what you see your future looking like with us. Tell us briefly about two or three projects you’ve worked on and why they’re relevant. Make sure your application materials demonstrate at least some of the experience and qualities listed above.
We understand that candidates will not check every single box we have here; most of us didn’t when we applied. If you are interested and can show that you're a fit, you should apply.
We're excited to hear from you!
What happens after you apply?
Our plan is to get through all the applications within a week after the job posting closes. Our goal is to start interviewing in January, with an ideal start date in early March.
This job posting will close on Friday, January 14th.
What does the interview process look like?
- A phone call with People Ops to discuss your interest and answer any initial questions you may have
- A video interview with a manager or director to talk about your experience
- A video interview with a director or founder to talk about Focus Lab culture
Be who you are with us.
We’re devoted to building an inclusive, supportive culture. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We especially welcome people of color, women, and LGBTQIA+ to apply.
At Focus Lab, you’ll find an empathetic crew who checks their egos at the door. We aim to assume the best of each other, strive for excellence in all we do, lean into tough situations, and feel empowered to own our work. Sound like you? Super. We expect you’ll be successful here.